The American Locomotive Company (Alco) pioneered the multi-purpose “road switcher” design in 1941 with its 1,000 hp RS-1. Alco’s designers added a second, shorter hood to a basic switcher to make room for a steam boiler for passenger train heat. The short hood also afforded the crew additional accident protection. Smoother-riding trucks made the RS-1 suitable for the higher road speeds that would be daunting in a typical switcher. Although EMD’s later GP7 and GP9 sold better and really established the road switcher as a universal locomotive, the RS-1 had the longest production run of any American-made diesel. The last new RS-1 left Alco’s shops in 1960.
This model of America’s first road switcher offers Premier-level detailing at a RailKing price. It has 1/48 scale proportions. Walkways have metal handrails and etched safety tread to prevent your 1/48-scale crewmen from slipping on a wet surface. End pilots have separately-added uncoupling levers. On the cab sides you’ll find legible Alco builder’s plates. Grab irons are separately added metal parts, as are the rooftop handles that allowed shop crews to remove roof panels for major repairs. Additional metal details include a horn, etched brass roof walkway, and a bell mounted
under the frame.
Grand Trunk Western Rs-1, cab number 1951 was the last domestic Rs-1 manufactured. It resides at the Illinois Railway Museum.
- Intricately Detailed, Durable ABS Body
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Horn
- (2) Handpainted Engineer Cab Figures
- Authentic Paint Scheme
- Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
- (2) Remote-Controlled Proto-Couplers
- Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
- Directionally Controlled Constant Voltage LED Headlights
- (2) Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motors
- Operating ProtoSmoke Diesel Exhaust
- Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
- Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
- 1:48 Scale Proportions
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 14” x 2 1/2” x 4”
- Operates On O-31 Curves