If you’re a North American Class 1 railroad looking for a freight diesel today, there are only two main choices. EMD, newly independent and no longer a division of General Motors, offers the SD70ACe. The standard bearer for General Electric, the top seller of road freight diesels, is the Evolution Series ES44AC.
At the heart of the Evolution Series is a brand new prime mover, the four-cycle, 12-cylinder GEVO-12. While producing the same 4400 horsepower as its 16-cylinder FDL-series predecessor, the GEVO-12 uses less fuel and spits out 40% fewer emissions. GE claims the EVOs are “the most fuel-efficient, most environmentally friendly diesel locomotives in history.” Everything about these locomotives has been examined, questioned, and re-thought, generating 25 new U.S. patents in the process. And every Class 1 railroad has ponied up to buy them, with the BNSF currently rostering the largest EVO fleet.
The RailKing Imperial ES44AC comes accurately decorated in modern motive power paint schemes. Our near-scale model is a full 17″ in length, yet operates comfortably on O-31 curves. Under the hood of the Proto-Sound 3.0 version is the same sound and control system found in our more expensive Premier model of this locomotive, with sounds recorded from the actual prototype. Additional Imperial features include operating diesel exhaust smoke and flashing ditch lights. If you’re looking for realism and a lot of fun at a RailKing price, it doesn’t get any better than this!
- Intricately Detailed Durable ABS Body
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Horn
- (2) Handpainted Engineer Cab Figures
- Authentic Paint Scheme
- Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
- (2) Remote Controlled Proto-Couplers
- Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
- Directionally Controlled Constant voltage LED Headlights
- Lighted LED Cab Interior Light
- Illuminated LED Number Boards
- Operating LED Ditch Lights
- (2) Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motors
- Operating ProtoSmoke Diesel Exhaust
- Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
- Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
- Near Scale Sizing
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 17” x 2 1/2” x 3 3/4”
- Operates On O-31 Curves