MTH Custom Run / MTH Special Run
EMD’s 800-hp SW-8s and 1,200-hp SW-9s both debuted in 1950, marking the next stage in the evolution of one of railroading’s longest-lived diesel families. The first SW-class engine, the 600-hp SW1, appeared in 1939, and the SW units remained in the EMD catalog until the 1,000-hp SW-1000 was finally retired in 1986. With the “SW” in the name denoting that the engine was built for switching duties, it never needed the high horsepower ratings of road diesels. They could be paired with cab-less “calf” units in the classic cow and calf configuration if a particular job needed more power. The SWs are perfect for yard duty thanks to their incredible slow-speed performance.
While the SW-8s and -9s were produced as replacements for the aging NW-2 diesel switcher, they proved themselves impervious to age themselves, becoming railyard mainstays for decades.
Engine photo by Don Ross
- Intricately Detailed ABS Body
- Metal Wheels and Axles
- (2) Operating Metal Couplers
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- Colorful Paint Scheme
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Decorative Horn
- (2) Remote-Controlled Proto-Couplers
- Directionally Controlled Constant Voltage LED Headlights
- (2) Engineer Cab Figures
- Spinning Roof Fans
- Metal Body Side Grilles
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 12” x 2 1/2” x 3 1/2”
- Operates On O-27 Curves
There are no reviews yet.