MTH Custom Run / MTH Special Run
EMD’s “50 Series” diesel locomotives of the mid-1980s were the product of the most extensive testing in the company’s 50-year history. Both the four-axle, four-motor GP50 and the six-axle, six-motor SD50 utilized a new control system that substantially increased hauling capacity and reduced engine noise levels.
The 3500 hp SD50 measured just 30″ longer than the SD40-2 it replaced but differed substantially in appearance. Gone were the front and rear “porches” of the SD40-2 and the dynamic brake blisters on the sides of its hood. Under the SD50’s longer hood, the dynamic brakes, which generate a lot of heat, were relocated from a position over the hot engine to a cleaner, cooler area just behind the cab.
The SD50 also introduced EMD’s new “Super Series” control system, which included a radar unit for measuring true ground speed and electronic monitoring of the electrical equipment. A primary benefit of the new control system was its ability to maximize rail adhesion by automatically applying short bursts of sand as needed to maintain traction. The system allowed three SD50s to do the work of four older locomotives.
- Directionally Controlled Headlights
- Intricately Detailed ABS Body
- Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- (2) Remotely Controlled Proto-Couplersr
- Colorful Paint Scheme
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Decorative Horn
- (2) Precision Flywheel Equipped Motors
- Locomotive Speed Control
- Proto-Scale 3-2 3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable
- Lighted Cab Interior
- Illuminated Number Boards
- Lighted Marker Lights
- (2) Engineer Cab Figures
- Metal Body Side Grilles
- Operating Smoke Unit
- Moveable Roof Fan Blades
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring: Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures:17 _” x 3 _” x 2 ½”
- Operates On O-42 Curves
There are no reviews yet.