MTH Custom Run / MTH Special Run
In 1958, GM’s Electro-Motive Division took a great technological stride forward with the introduction of the turbocharged SD24. In turbocharged engines, exhaust gases are used to power a turbine that increases cylinder air pressure, thus effectively increasing horsepower. In fact, the 16-cylinder model 567 diesel that produced 1800 horsepower in the normally aspirated SD18 locomotive was upgraded to 2400 horsepower in the turbocharged SD24.
Turbocharged engines also run better at varying altitudes, making them ideal for railroads that travel through changing terrain. Look on the left side of the SD24’s hood for the semicircular bulge that marks the location of the turbine.
The SD24s were close relatives of the popular GP-series engines. The primary difference was that SD-series (for “Special Duty”) locomotives were lengthened to make room for three-axle, three-motor trucks. For a GP and an SD engine of the same horsepower, the extra wheels on an SD locomotive gave it more tractive effort at low speeds and less engine weight on each axle. For this reason, the SD24 and others in the SD series were ideally suited for secondary lines with lighter rail.
Our engine represents the after merger scheme when the CB&Q became part of the BN. Our engine has a four digit road number (vs traditional CB&Q 3 digits), and a BN overstamp under the cab. (TR)
- Intricately Detailed, Durable ABS Body
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Horn
- Moveable Roof Fans
- Metal Body Side Grilles
- Detachable Snow Plow
- (2) Handpainted Engineer Cab Figures
- Authentic Paint Scheme
- Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
- (2) Remote-Controlled Proto-Couplers
- Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
- Directionally Controlled Constant Voltage LED Headlights
- Lighted LED Cab Interior Light
- Illuminated LED Number Boards
- Lighted LED Marker Lights
- (2) Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motors
- Operating ProtoSmoke Diesel Exhaust
- Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
- Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
- 1:48 Scale Proportions
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Quillable Horn With Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 15 3/8” x 2 5/8” x 4”
- Operates On O-36 Curves
There are no reviews yet.