Atlas Custom Run / Atlas Special Run
By 1910, the heavyweight became the dominant passenger car design. The heavyweight replaced the wood siding with riveted steel sides and roof and a concrete floor supported by a massive steel fishbelly underframe. Manufacturers used the weight to provide ride stability and comfort.
The cars retained the clerestory, or raised roof, from wood car days, where windows could be opened to provide ventilation, also allowing cinders and soot to enter the cars, when underway. Some cars received air conditioning in the future. The design proved very durable and many cars saw service for more than 50 years in mainline service, often mixed with lighter, streamlined cars.
The majority of heavyweights were 80′-85′ long, which scales out to about 21″ in O gauge. Many O gauge modelers, however, find cars of this length impractical, as they require large curves and create long trains that can overwhelm a typical-sized layout. For those reasons, our Altas heavyweights are about 70 scale feet in length – reproducing the look and feel of prototype heavyweights in a model that will round O-42 curves and look at home on most O gauge layouts.
Configured in 4-car, 2-car and single-car configurations, each type features car interior detail, overhead interior lighting, end-of-car diaphragms and intricate under-car detail. All configurations are mounted atop die-cast metal 6-wheel trucks with operating metal couplers, metal wheels and metal axles. LED lights provide illumination to both interior and observation car drumheads.
The dining car was leased from Pullman.
- 4-Car Sets Feature (1) Combine, (1) Coach, (1) Dining, (1) Observation
- 2-Car Sets Feature (2) Coaches
- Add on cars offered as single cars: Baggage & RPO
- Durable ABS Intricately Detailed Bodies
- Metal Wheels and Axles
- Constant Voltage Overhead LED Interior Lighting
- LED drumhead and lanterns on observation cars
- Operating Die-Cast Metal Couplers
- Colorful, Attractive Paint Schemes
- End-of-Car Diaphragms
- Separate Metal Handrails
- Fast-Angle Wheel Sets
- Needle-Point Axles
- Detailed Car Interiors
- 10 Passenger Figures In Each Coach Car
- 1:48 Scale Dimensions
- Detailed Car Undercarriage
- Sliding Baggage Car Doors
- Die-Cast 6-Wheel Trucks
- 4 Car Unit Measures: 76″ x 2 7/16″ x 3 1/2″
- Operates On O-42 Curves
There are no reviews yet.